Saturday, October 1, 2011

Great week!

So, last time you checked in, I was complaining that I didn't get my NS Week T-shirt, but I did on Wednesday!  I went to Quiz Bowl and it was fun.  We lost..again.  The score was 37-18, or something.  It was pretty funny to me, though, because I submitted some questions, the majority of which were Classics/Greek mythology-related.  I chose this topic because I took Intro to Classical Mythology last semester and I LOVED IT!!!  Nobody could answer these questions at Quiz Bowl, though, and one of the professors even asked if there were any questions not related to Greek mythology!  My pop culture questions were chosen, too, and some of them were actually answered, so that was nice.  When it was my turn to play, I got two of my own questions, but then I forgot the answer to one of them!  That was a little pathetic...  But hey, I got my T-shirt!

Thursday was my least productive day; it sure was fun, though.  I hung out with my best friends, Azeen Anjum and Karima Khimani, all day.  We had lunch together, discovered free printing (well, I helped them to discover it-see previous post), helped Karima reclaim her "life" by finding her folder, and got free food!  We went to the NS Week event "The Look to Land the Job" and got Schlotzsky's for dinner! I was surprised to see there weren't that many people there.  And I also realized that I have no clothes if I want to go to a professional interview.  I learned a lot about clothes that night.  For example, do you know the difference between business casual and corporate casual?  Or the difference between a jacket and a blazer?  Or whether or not it's okay to wear open-toed shoes to an interview?  Afterwards, we went to Red Mango for the fundraiser!  Yummm...  It almost made up for SURGe United losing their first IM soccer game 4-0.  At least we have nowhere to go but up, right, Captain Gerardo?  :)

Friday, I was running back-and-forth between meetings and events.  I spent about an hour at the Stem Cell Symposium they had at the AT&T Center.  I thought it would be interesting, but then I got a little bored when the speaker started talking about how they would test the effectiveness of lithium and ES cells for spinal cord injury.  Not to mention I felt a little out of place to see I was the only kid there...  But the best part of Friday was definitely ROADS to RESEARCH.  The food was soo good (yum..fudge brownies!).  I also got to talk to my TA, Laura Christian, who was a part of the grad panel.  And I got to play with the "world's biggest IPAD" in the VisLab tour and find a cello in the picture of the Austin skyline on the supercomputer Stallion.  That was really cool.  And another thing that made me happy: I got to see most of you!  I didn't know how many of you were interested in grad school.  I hope you enjoyed the event and hopefully won some prizes!  This is what makes me want to be an officer, so I can help plan things like this for all of you...

Thanks for reading.  Hopefully I'll see you Tuesday at the FRC Meeting! 
Vidya

1 comment:

  1. For me, everyday is an unproductive day :\

    Well, unproductive in terms of studying and such, but there are days where I am productive in terms of resting up after a week of school to prepare my mind and body for the upcoming up week. And of course too much studying isn't good either, so it's okay to hang out with friends once in a while :-)

    LOL we still lost? Well, at least you got your free t-shirt!

    I have professional clothes, but they're mostly business casual. In regards to the open-toed shoes comment, I wouldn't wear those to an interview or to work because closed-toed shoes look more professional and shows that you're taking your job seriously. Open-toed shoes are probably better for 6th Street partying :-) As for colors, I would just stick to your neutrals (black, navy blue, grey, white are usually safe zones). Oh, and no stilettos. Low heel is always the best.

    I think Roads to Research was a good success. Good food and lots of activities. I liked it better than last year in my opinion.

    See you later!

    -Josie

    ReplyDelete