Thursday, October 13, 2011

The day I touched greatness

Hey everyone,

Did you miss me?  I can't believe it's been almost two weeks since I last updated!  Sorry about that-all of last week I spent my free time in lab, only to come up with inconclusive results for my gel image.  And now I have to do it again.  A note of advice about lab and research: when things stop going well for you, that's a sign you need to take a break.  I spent almost 14 hours in lab last week!  And this week, I've had 3 midterms, 2 presentations, 1 lab report, and a quiz.  But now I'm done!  I'm freeeee!  At least until sometime mid November. 

My exams were: meh.  I tried a new study technique that actually seemed to work: go to bed by 10:30/11:00 and get up at 5:00/5:30 and keep studying till your exam.  So even though I got up at 5:30 today, I feel fine because I got ~7 hours of sleep last night.  If you have exams coming up, you should try this!  It's better than staying up until 4AM and then only getting 2 hours of sleep before your test, especially if your tests are back-to-back.

So here's what the title of this post refers to:  I am a HUGE fan of the Percy Jackson series and its sequel series, The Heroes of Olympus.  The new book (#2), The Son of Neptune, came out on Oct. 4th and all week, author Rick Riordan was touring the country for book signings.  And guess WHAT?

He came HERE!  To Austin's BookPeople on 6th Street.  And guess who went to see him and sat front-and-center?  And guess who gave him a high-five?  And guess who recorded his speech but only until her phone's memory ran out?  Yep, that's right.  ME!!!!  Yes, I'm obsessed; I think I already mentioned that.  Yes, I know I should have been studying, but you wouldn't pass up an opportunity to meet one of your favorite authors, would you? 

I felt strangely like I didn't fit in.  Since it was Columbus Day on Monday, there were kids, like 8-11 years old, and there were their parents, and then there was me, with my backpack and my Vert. Neuro. notes.  Still, it was cool to be there and when I came back from my little field trip, I went to two review sessions.  So it balanced out.

As for plans for this weekend, SHOPPING!!!  And movie-watching and sleeping and eating junk food.  It's going to be awesome!!  I might even post more just to rub it in that I'm finished with my tests.  And of course, you know, to keep you entertained on your study breaks... :D

I hope to see you at the plant sale tomorrow and the lecture by Dr. Michael Barratt, an astronaut and doctor!

Vidya

No comments:

Post a Comment